Bad news today. Really bad news. We had to lay off a number of our employees. What makes the bad news worse is that not only are these people good friends but they are smart, hard working people. People that would go to battle for you. People that had your back.
Next up in the Experts in the Industry: 45 Interviews in 45 Days series, Mike Macadaan. By day, Mike is the VP product & design at Tsavo Media. By night (and on weekends, he transforms into one of the co-founders of the uber-trendy event series, Twiistup. In fact, I met Mike late last summer at one of his Twiistup events in LA. If I didn’t say it already, Mike’s a pretty cool guy.
Thank you Shel for being my first guineau pig. Anwers to my questions from my Experts in the Industry: 45 Interviews in 45 Days post.
- In one sentence, please describe what you do and why you’re good at it.
- How did you get into the world of online community, social media or social marketing?
- If you had $10 million to invest in one company and one company only based on their use of “social,” which company would it be and why?
- Which business leader, politician or public figure do you most respect?
- Would you join a toothpaste community? Why? [for background on this question, see the "Would you Join a Toothpaste Community"]
NOTE: MY FRIEND SARA DORNSIFE JUST ALERTED ME TO THE PRESENCE OF SOMEONE THAT ACTUALLY PLAYS IN THIS SPACE – http://toothhugger.com/
- Freeform – here’s where you can riff on anyone or anything – good or bad. Or just share a pearl of wisdom.
- Shel Israel, Author Naked Conversations [interview - 1/28]
- Stephen Baker, Sr. Writer for Businessweek, Author The Numerati [interview - 1/29]
- KD Paine, Queen of Measurement [interview - 1/29]
- Mike Macadaan, VP Product & Design, Tsavo Media, Former VP of UE, AOL & Founder of Twiistup [interview - 1/30]
- Todd Defren, principal of SHIFT Communications [interview - 1/30*]
- Sam Decker, CMO of Bazaarvoice [interview - 2/2*]
- Peter Kim, Sr. Partner, Dachis Group (formerly of Forrester Research) [interview - 2/2]
- Lisa Dilg, Account Director, Perkett PR (and Twitter guru extraordinaire) [interview - 2/3]
- Blaise Heltai, Principal New Vantage Partners, Former head of eCommerce at Bank of America [interview - 2/4]
- Doug Haslam – Account Director, SHIFT Communications [interview - 2/4**]
- Peter Naylor – SVP Digital Media Sales, NBC/Universal [interview - 2/5]
- Sam Lawrence – CMO, Jive Software [interview - 2/5**]
- Leslie Poston – Founder, Uptown Uncorked, Guest Writer for Mashable [interview - 2/6]
- Marvin Chow – Nike Japan Marketing Director [interview - 2/9*]
- Kyle Flaherty – Director of Marketing at BreakingPoint Systems [interview - 2/9]
- Stowe Boyd – Uber Blogger and Principal at /Message [interview - 2/10]
- Rachel Happe – Social Media/Product Guru, former IDC Analyst [interview - 2/11]
- Laura Fitton – Principal of Pistachio Consulting [interview - 2/12]
ck Moran - CMO, Mzinga [interview - 2/13]
- JasonFalls – Social Media Explorer & Director of Social Media for Doe-Anderson [interview - 2/13*]
- Dennis Howlett – Full Time Blogger for ZDNet and AccMan [interview - 2/16]
- Tim Walker – Editor & Blogger for Hoover’s; Journalist, historian, & speaker [interview - 2/17]
- Mack Collier – Social Media Consultant, Speaker, Trainer [interview - 2/18]
- Warren Sukernek – Director of Content Marketing, Radian6 [interview - 2/19]
- Melanie Notkin – Founder of SavvyAuntie.com – [interview - 2/20]
- Mukund Mohan – Co-founder and CEO, Buzzgain- [interview - 2/20*]
- Adam Cohen – Partner, Rosetta [interview - 2/23*]
- Howard Greenstein – Principal of the Harbooke Group & Co-founder Social Media Club [interview -2/23]
- Jim Storer – Community Manager, Blogger [interview - 2/24]
- Francois Gossieaux – Partner, Beeline Labs [interview - 2/25]
- Len Devanna – Director Web Strategy, EMC [interview - 2/26]
- Ann Handley – Chief Content Officer, MarketingProfs [interview - 2/27]
- Kathy Warren - VP Account Planning at Powered (yup, that’s my company but she’s awesome and worth getting to know). [interview - 2/27*]
- Liz Strauss - Speaker, Uber blogger and writer [interview - 3/2]
- Peter Fasano - Global Interactive Marketing, Social Media Marketing Manager, The Coca Cola Company [interview - 3/3]
- Diane Hessan, Founder & CEO, Communispace [interview - 3/4]
- Paul May - CEO & Co-founder, Buzzstream [interview - 3/5]
- Anne Berkowitch - Co-founder and CEO, Select Minds [interview - 3/6]
- Amber Naslund - Director of Community at Radian6 [interview - 3/6*]
- Jennifer Leggio – Director at Fortinet & Blogger for Feeds at ZDNet [interview - 3/9]
- Meg Fowler - Writer/Blogger [interview - 3/9*]
- CC Chapman - Co-founder & Managing Partner, The Advanced Guard [interview - 3/10]
- Bill Johnston - Chief Community Officer of ForumOne Communications [interview - 3/11]
- Mike Lewis - CMO, Awareness [interview - 3/12]
- Stephanie Agresta – Co-founder, TechSet and Affiliate Karma [interview - 3/13]
- Scott Monty - Head of Social Media at Ford Motor Company [interview - 3/13*]
- Susan Bratton - CEO, Personal Life Media, Inc. and host of Dishy Mix podcasts. [interview - 3/14]
- Jim Turner - Founder of One by One Media [interview - 3/15]
- Lani Rosales - Co-founder New Media Labs & partner in crime at AgentGenius. [interview - 3/16]
- Francine McKenna - Author of RE: The Auditors “Using the Tools Instead of the Tools Using Me.” [interview - 3/17]
- Shel Holtz - Principal of Holtz Communication + Technology [interview - 3/18]
- Natanya Anderson - VP Content/Creative at Powered (yes, she’s a colleague but she’s wicked smaht) [interview - 3/19]
- Sam Eder - CMO, Small World Labs [interview - 3/20]
- Ari Herzog -
Writer/Blogger [interview - 3/21]
- Tim McAlpine - President of Currency Marketing [interview - 3/22]
- Josh Hilliker - Community Manager for Intel’s vPro Community [interview - 3/23]
- Shannon Paul - Social Media Lead for Detroit Red Wings [interview - 3/24]
- Shawn Morton - Senior Consultant for Social Media at Nationwide Insurance [interview - 3/25]
- Rick Calvert - CEO and Founder, Blogworld & New Media Expo [interview - 3/26]
- Sean O’Driscoll - CEO, Ants Eye View & Former GM Microsoft MVP Community [interview - 3/27]
- Sara Dornsife - Former Marketer at Sun Microsystems, Funny Blogger [interview - 3/30]
- Mark Wallace - VP Social Media, EDR [interview - 3/31]
- Chris Brogan - President, New Marketing Labs and Uber Blogger [interview - 4/1]
- Alexis Martin Neely - Family Financial & Legal Expert on TV, Author of Wear Clean Underwear [interview - 4/2]
- Mari Smith - Relationship Marketing Specialist & Facebook Business Coach, blogger at WhyFacebook [interview - 4/3]
- John Andrews - Emerging Media Sr. Manager at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and Adjunct Professor at NWACC [interview - 4/7]
- Connie Reese – Co-founder & Advisory Board of the Social Media Club and Founder of Every Dot Connects [interview - 4/8]
- Dave Evans - ClickZ writer, Co-founder of Digital Voodoo & Author of Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day [interview - 4/9]
- Ken Burbary - VP Digital at Big Communications [interview - 4/10]
- Peter Shankman - Social Media CEO & Founder of HARO (Help a Reporter Out) [interview - 4/13]
- Christine Perkett - Founder and Principal, Perkett PR [interview - 4/14]
- Aronado Placencia - Co-founder of StartupLucky [interview - 4/15]
- Kenny Tomlin – President & CEO Rockfish Interactive [interview - 4/16]
- Shiv Singh – VP and global social media lead – [interview - 4/17]
- Bryan Person - Social Media Evangelist of Liveworld [interview - 4/20]
- Greg Verdino – Chief Strategy Officer, Crayon [interview - tbd]
- Lionel Menchaca – Chief Blogger, Dell Inc. [interview - tbd]
- Ben McConnell – Co-author of Citizen Marketer and blogger [interview - tbd]
- Brooks Bayne – Satirist, Entrepreneur, Technologist [interview - tbd]
- Marcel LeBrun – CEO of Radian6 [interview - tbd]
- Mike Walsh – CEO Leverage Software [interview - tbd]
- Wayne Sutton – Social Media Stragist, Technology Evangelist and Blogger [interview - tbd]
- Gradon Tripp – Blogger, Social Media, Technology and Design Aficionado [interview - tbd]
- Benn Rosales – Co-founder New Media Labs & partner in crime at AgentGenius. [interview - tbd]
- Doc Searls – Linux Journal editor, Berkman/Harvard & CITS/UCSB fellow… oh yeah, also co-author of The Cluetrain Manifesto [interview - tbd]
- David Armano – VP Experience and Design at Critical Mass [interview - tbd]
- George Dearing – Corporate Evangelist / Director of Business Development [interview - tbd]
- Adam Ostrow – Editor in Chief, Mashable [interview - tbd]
- Pete Cashmore – Founder and CEO, Mashable [interview - tbd]
- Connie Bensen – Community Strategist, Techrigy [interview - tbd]
- Cali Lewis – Blogger and Producer for Geek Brief TV [interview - tbd]
- Jeremiah Owyang – Sr. Analyst, Forrester Research [interview - tbd]
*Trying not to shaft folks by putting up their post over the weekend.
**With so many folks agreeing to do this interview, I’m going to start doubling up
over the next couple of weeks.
The keynote at the AMA’s M-planet Conference kicks off with Dennis Dunlap, CEO of the American Marketing Association talking about the importance of scenario planning for CMO’s as they move forward. This approach should avoid missing opportunities while not betting the farm on a trend or technology that may or not pan out. Two examples Dennis gave that reinforced this message were:
- President and founder of once great Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), Kenneth Olsen’s, prediction in 1997 that “there is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.”
- Business Week’s prediction in 1968 that stated “with over fifteen types of foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn’t likely to carve out a big share of the market for itself.”
The three points I made in today’s recording are:
- I shouldn’t be surprised that this is somewhat of a traditional conference because that’s what most of my marketing brethren/sistren are expecting (and that’s not a dig on anyone).
- This is a good reminder as to why I need to get outside the fishbowl. It’s fun to talk to my social friends and it’s why I chose to have dinner with Greg Verdino of Crayon last night but at the end of the day, it’s the marketers here I need to connect with.
- My job is to help the folks here understand how social media/marketing and online communities can be a game changer. That’s not to diminish other marketing channels like e-mail, SEO/SEM, online advertising, etc. but to let folks know that there is a game changer out there that will give them more than a .05% incremental return on their investment.
On that note, I’m off to network, watch some panels (with a little live blogging/tweeting where appropriate) and then some evangelizing during my speaking slot at 2:00 PM.
Given the importance of this day, I thought I’d take a minute to honor Dr. Martin Luther King by talking about something that I’m sure he would have appreciated i.e. values in the workplace. Specificically, things like authenticity, transparency and good old fashioned trust.
To that end, here are the URLs I metion in my video post below: